Wednesday 5 June 2013

A letter to our 10 year old.

Baby...Angel. 
Ten years ago, a baby angel girl entered the world.

Tomorrow marks a decade of Daddy and I being your parents.  Of us being parents at all.  Such a decade, such love, such utter vulnerability and besottedness.


We didn't know what to do with you.  So we gave you lots of cuddles.  I was terrified of feeding you, so for about 6 weeks I only could ever think ahead to the next feed.   You ended up being one of the fattest babies the world has ever known.

The chubstar.

We spent the first three months holding you until you went to sleep.  Every night.  One of us would eat, then the other.  You refused to be put down.  When I look back on those days, and remember how exhausted we were, I'm so glad we held you.  We didn't want to put you down.

We gave you a baby brother when you were 22 months old.  Still a baby yourself.  By no means a small gap, but small enough.  Then, at 4 years and 2 days we gave you a baby sister.  You took it in your stride.  

Tonight you played saxophone in the band.  Yesterday you danced in the dance group.  You have a go at anything, you're smart, you're kind, you laugh easily and are good natured, easy going, almost always smiling.

I know, I'm your Mum, what else am I going to say but nice stuff.  But really, it's all true.  

You're at an age I just want to bottle.  A gorgeous moment in time where you're balanced between two worlds.  Still innocent, naive, openly loving, not yet self conscious or cynical.

Tomorrow, all day we will celebrate you being in the world.  And how lucky we are that it's us you came to, how overjoyed we are that we got to be your parents.

Happy Birthday Sarah, you are a priceless gift we treasure every day.

Love, Mum and Dad.  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx